PREP TIME: 10 mins, COOK TIME: 20 mins, TOTAL TIME: 30 mins
Serves: 4 – 5
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly into rings
- 1 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 19oz canned chickpeas, rinsed (preferably no added sodium)
- 1 ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp each salt and black pepper
- 1 – 3 tbsp ground roasted cumin (I prefer to use 2 tbsp)
- 1 tbsp chat masala
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- Juice from ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp tamarind sauce or chutney (optional)
- In a nonstick fry pan or wok, heat canola oil with cumin seeds and onion over low-medium heat.
- Cook onion rings for 5 – 7 minutes or so until they become soft and translucent.
- Add in garlic, chickpeas and remaining spices. Stir the mixture to ensure chickpeas are coated well. After another 5 minutes add in diced tomatoes and squeeze juice from ½ lemon into the mixture. Stir to combine.
- Cook mixture until tomatoes have softened (but not mushy), about three more minutes. At this stage you may add in tamarind sauce if it’s available to you.
- Serve over rice, with naan or with Roti.